Welcome back everyone! As you can see I am in the process of making some big changes on Callavida, and in my own life.
With that said I thought I’d share what it has been like being unemployed for the first time in almost 20 years. I have held down some kind of job since I was 15 years-old and particularly the one I just left I had for ten years. To honor my younger hopeful self I cut the list down to 15 somethings.
Thanks for stopping by!
15 Somethings of Being Unemployed
1. People need answers even if you don’t have them. “Well what EXACTLY are you going to do?” Not sure but I know I am going to look for work. “WHERE??” Out if the Bay Area. “WHY??” and the questions continue…
2. It felt weird at first. Still connected to the old job, but cognitive of the fact I was not returning.
3. My last day was on a Friday. So waking up with nothing to do that first Monday felt…well it felt like this:
4. There are no more weekends. Every day is Friday and you start to forget when exactly the real Friday is…
5. I feel guilty going out-even though I have money saved to get by for a bit every time I go out I realize that money is not being replenished.
6. Because of number #1 I sometimes lie about my plans so the incessant questions will cease. It works.
7. After about a week of no work I started to feel super weird. That weirdness turned into panic. Aaaand this is the week I applied for 100 jobs most of which I wouldn’t have applied for had I been in a more sound state of mind. But you settle in a state of panic.
8. There are bursts of excitement-emotional outbursts of joy thinking about the possibilities. The world is my oyster!
9. There are also bursts of …
10. You make big plans to exercise daily and read that book that’s been a part of your bed set for the last 3 months. You are going to hit the beach. Visit a friend who lives far away (but not so far you have to buy a plane ticket).
11. In reality those big plans happen tomorrow. Because until I land a job there’s always tomorrow!
12. I am sad at times and have to just let it sit with me. This one is kind of a head scratcher but I am a big believer in allowing things to sit without question when you don’t have the answer immediately.
13. I eat weird things at weird hours. For example nutella and a Hawaiian king roll at 10:30pm. For dinner.
14. I actually can be very busy most days because I am ambitious and make lists. Furthermore, these days filling out a job application online is pretty much the first interview, and takes…a very, very long time…
15. No matter what somethings come in and out of my daily unemployed life I am generally certain I will be just fine.
P.s. Just realized you can do the math on my age…knock yourself out! =)